- Shop |
- Collections & Gifts |
- Classes |
- Entertaining |
- Chefs & Stores |
- Catalog |
- Events & News
Macaroni and Cheese
This classic dish is served at Artisanal Fromagerie & Bistro and is known as “the best macaroni and cheese in town.” Children love this simple meal on its own or as a side to go along with roast chicken or beef. We use Parmigiano-Reggiano, Gruyere and/or Comte, but you can go another direction with a semi-firm cheese.
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Pour 2 quarts of water into a 3-quart pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
2. In a small sauce pan, melt 2 1/2 tablespoons of the butter over low heat. Add the bread crumbs and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, toss well, and set aside.
3. Put the remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a 2-quart, heavy-bottomed saucepan and melt it over low heat. Add the flour and cook for 5 minutes, whisking constantly. Pour in the milk and cook for 5 minutes, whisking constantly. Add 4 1/2 teaspoons salt, 4 grinds of pepper, the Gruyere and mascarpone, and continue to whisk until the cheese is well incorporated. Remove the pot from the heat and pour the cheese sauce into a large bowl.
4. Add 1 tablespoon of salt and the elbow macaroni to the boiling water and cook until al dente, approximately 8 minutes. Drain the macaroni in a colander and add it to the bowl with the cheese sauce. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
5. Pour the macaroni mixture into an 8-inch by 8-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture evenly over the top of the macaroni and cheese. Bake until golden brown and bubbly, approximately 40 minutes. Serve.